So you’ve sat down to start developing a game, and are wondering how to make it one of the most popular games on the internet. There’s no surefire way to do this, as game development always requires a good bit of luck to go viral, but here are some tips.
- Unique idea. This isn’t always true, but it sure helps. When a player can differentiate your game from other people’s, they are more likely to remember it.
- Easy to pick up. Your game needs to be quick to get in to, otherwise people will get bored quickly and leave. Give them something to draw their attention right off the bat so they are intrigued enough to stay.
- Fun for hours. That may be an overstatement, but your game will probably not go viral if it can be beat in a minute. If you can’t make the storyline any longer, give them multiple modes of play.
- High Scores. People love to compete for the highest score, and gamers are no exception. Give them a score to beat, and they will be sure to play longer trying to beat others or even their own best score.
- Achievements. They give you a sense of accomplishment, and entice the player to keep trying for more.
- Fun. If the game isn’t fun, who would want to play it? Make the game something you would want to play, and chances are, others will agree with you.
- Lastly, you need some hard work and a little bit of luck. Submit your game to all the portals that you can. If you get lucky, someone might just add it to their front page or digg it.